Personal Information collected, utilized and disclosed by the Urban Development Institute may include:
1) Personal contact coordinates (ie. home address and telephone number).
2) Names of family members and their contact coordinates.
3) Social Insurance Number, Personal Health Number, and any personal details required to establish, manage or terminate an employment relationship, create a Record of Employment, or register an employee on a health benefits plan.
4) Credit card information.
The Urban Development Institute collects, utilizes and discloses personal information from individuals for the following purposes:
1) The individual is an employee of the Institute and the information is required to establish, maintain or terminate the employment relationship; or to recognize special occasions, such as length of service and birthdays.
2) The individual is applying for employment with the Urban Development Institute and the information has been collected from the applicant and placed on file for the purpose of review at a later date.
3) The individual is a member of the Region’s Board of Directors or that of any branch of the Urban Development Institute within the Region and is required to submit all personal information required under the Society Act.
4) A representative of a member company is submitting their personal contact coordinates, including home address, to be used in UDI records as the official contact coordinates for the company (ie. home office or home-based business). This material may be included in the members roster and may be accessible by all members in the Pacific Region.
5) The individual is liaising with the Urban Development Institute in a capacity not limited to event preparation, municipal affairs or policy review and the information has been collected with consent from the individual for a purpose relating to the liaison.
6) The individual willingly submits their personal contact coordinates and other personal data, including credit card numbers, for the purposes of registering and paying for an event, applying for or paying for membership, or paying an invoice.
7) The individual is invited to a special event and information is collected to extend the invitation to a spouse, partner, or family member; or the individual is recognized by UDI for their contribution or service and the Institute collects and uses information in relation to this acknowledgement.
8) Any other purpose that is required of the Institute, pending disclosure of use and intent to the individual and reception of their permission.
The Urban Development Institute strives to keep personal information and data as accurate as possible and takes the necessary steps towards updating that information with individuals. To assist us in this task, all individuals who have submitted their information to the Institute are asked to notify the Head Office (Vancouver) of any changes to their data in a timely manner. Contact information for the Head Office can be found here.
As we are committed to ensuring the security of your personal information, the Urban Development Institute has in place those safeguards that are essential to data protection. Access to your personal information will be limited to that which is specifically required for a particular task and to those at the Institute who are responsible for performing each task. Electronic information is stored on a firewall-protected server that is only accessible to employees of the Urban Development Institute through a password-based login. Sensitive hard-copy is protected in secured cabinets at all times. Data is placed on a retention schedule and destroyed when it is no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected. UDI Pacific will audit all security and data management systems on a regular basis and will perform upgrades as necessary. These systems include electronic and computer hardware systems, software applications, office storage cabinets, and office machines (eg. micro paper shredders).
Information residing on UDI Pacific’s publicly-accessible website (www.udi.bc.ca) can be utilized for external purposes pending permission from the Institute’s head office in Vancouver. UDI Pacific must be referenced as the source of the data. In the event that the data is reproduced electronically, the reference must be accompanied by a hyperlink to the Institute’s website. Information residing on UDI Pacific’s Members Only website may not, under any circumstances, be reproduced. The material in this section is password-protected and is exclusive to members of UDI Pacific. In some cases, this information is subject to the privacy, collection and disclosure requirements of the Society Act (formerly Societies Act).
You have legal access to your personal information and may request disclosure on how the information has been used and shared by the Urban Development Institute. Individuals requesting this information are asked to submit their query with details that would allow the Institute to respond efficiently. Verification of your identity will be required. Disclosure of your personal information may be edited of certain content as required or authorized by law. This includes, but is not limited to, the personal information of other individuals, information that is subject to an investigation, and confidential corporate information. All individuals will be informed of changes to the access rights of their personal information before the change is initiated.
Your consent is implied if you are using our social media pages. The Urban Development Institute (UDI) uses social media to communicate with the public. Public participation on UDI social media sites is governed by these terms. By interacting with any content on or made available through UDI social media sites, you accept these terms and agree to act in accordance with them.
Where applicable, your postings and links to third-party sites are subject to monitoring for appropriateness. As used herein, “appropriate” means that the postings are relevant to UDI’s business and functions, responsive to the issues(s) being discussed, and phrased in respectful language which is appropriate for public discourse. Posts such as listed below are not appropriate:
•profane, abusive, vulgar or pornographic
•offensive terms that target specific ethnic or racial groups
•perceived harassment or defamation
•personal attacks of any kind (towards followers or UDI volunteers, staff or members)
•threats of physical or bodily harm
•encouragement of illegal activity
•promotion of services or products that aren’t in the broad member interest
•engages in political activity or solicits for any religious, political or personal causes
•repetitive posts by the same user or multiple users
•confidential, proprietary or otherwise restricted information
•material that infringes any patent, trademark, copyright or other proprietary rights.
Inappropriate or offensive material will be removed by the site moderator without notice to posting party. UDI also reserves the right to block site users that include inappropriate content in posts, including posting of inappropriate links.
UDI may include useful links or pointers to information created and maintained by other entities. This does not imply any endorsement of the third-party linked site.
Except as specifically noted, opinions expressed in UDI social media postings are those of the individual authors, and do not necessarily represent the views of UDI. We do not guarantee or warrant that social media posts are accurate, current, complete, free of viruses or other destructive properties.
Information provided through social media is not a substitute for legal or other professional advice. Participants should consult their own legal or other professional advisers.
UDI has no control over advertisements that may be posted by a social media site host in accordance with the site host’s terms of service. Such posts are not intended to reflect the opinion of UDI or its officers or employees concerning the significance, priority, or importance to be given the referenced entity, product, service, or organization. Such references are not an endorsement by UDI of any product, person, or service, and may not be quoted or reproduced for the purpose of stating or implying UDI endorsement or approval of any product, person, or service.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold UDI and its employees or agents harmless from any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, settlements, costs and expenses (including attorney’s fees) arising in any way from your use or access to UDI’s social media sites. In no event shall UDI, or any of its employees be held liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential, exemplary or punitive damages arising from any use or inability to use UDI’s social media sites.
Urban Development Institute Pacific Region
#1100-1050 West Pender Street
V6E 3S7 Canada
Read the Personal Information Protection Act
© Copyright 2021 URBAN DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE