Municipal News- Maple Ridge
March 25, 2020
See here for COVID 19 Information Updates
November 25, 2019
UPDATED: Tandem Parking Bylaw
The City of Maple Ridge is working on updating its tandem parking bylaw. Please see the link to the presentation from the UDI Maple Ridge Liaison committee meeting here. See the proposed amendments below:
- Add the “Tandem Parking definition to the Zoning Bylaw definitions section
- Amend RM-1 zone as follows
- Limit a townhouse block to 6 units 45 meters (147.5ft) in length
- Prohibiting two-car enclosed garages
- Restricting the percentage of single-car tandem garages to 30%
- Amend the Off-Street Parking and Loading Bylaw as follows
- To provide a minimum driveway apron of 6m (20 ft.) in length by 3m (10ft.) in width for single-car tandem garages
- To specify the minimum internal dimensions of a single-car tandem garage in the RM-1 zone as 3.8m (12.5 ft.) in width, 6.7m (22 ft.) in length, and 2.1m (6.9 ft.) in height
- To specify the minimum internal dimensions of a double-car garage in the RM-1 zone as 6.5m (21.3 ft.) in width, 6.7m (22 ft.) in length, and 2.1m (6.9 ft.) in height
The draft bylaws will be reviewed and potentially revised based on feedback obtained, so please contact Michelle Baski with any questions or comments. This feedback will be included in the report back to Council on Dec.10th, 2019.
UPDATED: Density Bonus Rates
At the last UDI Maple Ridge committee meeting on October 25th 2019, the City of Maple Ridge presented updates to draft Density Bonus regulations. Please see the presentation here. If you have questions regarding the proposed changes or would like additional information the staff contact will be Amanda Grochowich (604-463-5221).
September 30, 2019
Density Bonus Rate Consultation
Maple Ridge Council is exploring a set of revised density bonus regulations for new development from an earlier set of provisions approved in principle in 2018. The proposed regulations remove any optional requirements to provide below-market rental floor space in exchange for bonus density. Instead, the revised density bonus regulations now focus on an increased set of cash contribution rates which would be used to fund affordable rental housing projects. The proposal is on the agenda (p.237) for the regular Council meeting on October 1st. It will also be discussed in the next month’s Maple Ridge Development Liaison Committee meeting.
Please submit your response on the enclosed proposed density bonus requirements to Amanda Grochowich, Planner, City of Maple Ridge at 604-463-5221 firstname.lastname@example.org by October 11, 2019.
If you have any other comments or concerns, please contact Richard Demkiw.
September 16, 2019
Tandem Parking Consultation
The City of Maple Ridge is contemplating restricting tandem parking in townhouse projects. They are proposing that only 30% of the units in each project be permitted to have tandem parking. Dimensions of the spaces are also specified. Two-car tandem parking garages will also not be permitted. The City is seeking comments by early October, as a report will be going to Council in November. UDI will be providing comments, as these type of restrictions on tandem parking add substantial costs for homebuyers. If you have any comments, please contact Cassandra McColman.
July 8, 2019
Zoning Bylaw Review
The City of Maple Ridge has been conducting a review of its Zoning Bylaw, which last received a major update in 1985. A report went to Council in the spring, and staff wrote a June 27, 2019 letter to UDI seeking input on the draft Bylaw and map by July 31. If you have projects in Maple Ridge, please review the draft documents and provide your comments and questions to Cassandra McColman by July 29, 2019.